Friday 22 April 2016

23.04 VA#2

47. Given below are a few sentences. Each sentence has a pair of words that are italicized. From the
italicized words, select the most appropriate words (A or B) to form correct sentences. The sentences
are followed by options that indicate the words, which may be selected to correctly complete the
set of sentences. From the options given, choose the most appropriate one.
I hope they don't ask me anything about politics. I haven't the slightest (A) / smallest (B) idea about
it.
I knew David could always be trusted (A) / relied (B) on in times of crisis.
I would like to make a request (A) / demand (B) to the hotel management that they allow people to
choose the TV program they want to watch.
The business has lost a lot of orders recently and is going through a thin (A) / poor (B) time.
It was not the ideal (A) / idyll (B) solution to the problem.
(a) ABAAA (b) ABABB (c) ABBAA (d) BBAAB


48. Given below are a few sentences. Each sentence has a pair of words that are italicized. From the
italicized words, select the most appropriate words (A or B) to form correct sentences. The sentences
are followed by options that indicate the words, which may be selected to correctly complete the
set of sentences. From the options given, choose the most appropriate one.
In his position as (A) / of (B) managing director, he is responsible for more than 300 employees.
He planned the event so meticulously that the outcome was entirely causal (A) / casual (B).
They created a custom (A) / costume (B) design for a diwali card.
I suspect (A) / expect (B) his motives are not entirely good.
The economics (A) / economic (B) of the project are very encouraging.
(a) ABAAB (b) AAAAA (c) BAAAB (d) BBAAA



49. A paragraph is given below from which the last sentence has been deleted. From the given options,
choose the one that completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way.
I was a man who stood in symbolic relations to the art and culture of my age. I had realised this for
myself at the very dawn of my manhood, and had forced my age to realise it afterwards. Few men
hold such a position in their own lifetime, and have it so acknowledged. It is usually discerned, if
discerned at all, by the historian, or the critic, long after both the man and his age have passed
away. With me it was different. I felt it myself, and made others feel it. Byron was a symbolic
figure, but his relations were to the passion of his age and its weariness of passion.
(a) I ceased to be lord over myself.
(b) Mine were to something more noble, more permanent, of more vital issue, of larger scope.
(c) I was no longer the captain of my soul, and did not know it.
(d) He had discerned it himself.

50. A paragraph is given below from which the last sentence has been deleted. From the given options,
choose the one that completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way.


In an age of hurry like ours the appearance of an epic poem that is more than five thousand lines in
length cannot but be regarded as remarkable. Whether such a form of art is the one most suited to
our century is a question. Edgar Allan Poe insisted that no poem should take more than an hour to
read, the essence of a work of art being its unity of impression and of effect. Still, it would be difficult
to accept absolutely a canon of art, which would place the Divine Comedy on the shelf and deprive

us of the Bothwell of Mr. Swinburne.
(a) For even on ortolans who could endure oratory?
(b) The subject of a work of art has, of course, nothing to do with its size.
(c) A work of art is to be estimated by its beauty, not by its size.
(d) We cannot help this.

No comments:

Post a Comment